Become a Sponsor or Site
N.C. Summer Nutrition Programs (Summer Food Service Program and Seamless Summer Option) are administered by N.C. Department of Public Instruction (NCDPI), with federal assistance from the U.S. Department of Agriculture (USDA). NCDPI works with schools and community organizations as sponsors to offer free meals and educational enrichment to children and teens ages 18 and younger when school is out. NCDPI reimburses approved sponsors who serve free, nutritious meals and snacks to children and teens in low-income areas.
The North Carolina Department of Public Instruction accepts prospective sponsor applications for the upcoming summer through March 1.
To apply to become part of the NC Summer Food Service Program (SFSP):
- Review the SFSP Fact Sheet for additional information about administering this federal program.
- Want to become a site? Call (984) 236-2632.
- Sites are places in the community where children receive meals in a safe and supervised environment. Sites may be located in a variety of settings, including schools, parks, community centers, health clinics, hospitals, public housing units, faith-based facilities, and migrant centers. Sites work directly with sponsors.
- Want to become a sponsor? Complete the SFSP Pre-Screening Tool to see if your organization is eligible to sponsor the SFSP.
- Upon completion of the SFSP Pre-Screening Tool, a NCDPI Summer Nutrition Consultant will contact your organization to discuss the next steps.
- Sponsors enter into agreements with State Agencies to run the program. Schools, local government agencies, camps, faith-based and other non-profit community organizations that have the ability to manage a food service program may be SFSP sponsors. Sponsors get reimbursed by the Program and may manage multiple sites.
For more information, visit the NC Department of Public Instruction website.